[AccessD] Pushing A2K Data to SQL2K - S-L-O-W!:

Stephen Hait shait at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 4 14:30:00 CST 2003

> > Hi Gustav,      No, I haven't tried, and I'm still learning the
> > new, mostly undocumented, schema of the new app.  Do you think the
> > indexes account for a large chunk of the five hours?  Being new to
> > SQL, would I have to manually record and recreate the indexes, or
> > can I store the index 'defs' temporarily?
>
> Sorry, I'm not an expert on SQL Server, so I can't give you any
> smart tips. The index dropping/recreation is a general tip when
> appending large amounts of (known or otherwise validated) records to
> a large table.

If you are totally replacing the target tables each time, you can
use Enterprise Manager to create the scripts necessary to
recreate empty tables and to create the indexes on these tables.
Just split the code into 2 pieces: 1) to recreate empty tables with
no indexes and 2) to build the indexes on the tables once you've
imported your data. If you'd like to discuss this in more detail,
feel free to contact me off list.

Gustav is definitely correct that inserting large amounts of data
into tables containing indexes will be much slower than if the
tables are not indexed.

Regards,
Stephen