[AccessD] Pushing A2K Data to SQL2K - S-L-O-W!:

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Tue Feb 4 14:53:01 CST 2003

Ron,
   XLS and txt files can be imported into DTS scripts. what's more important
is that you can use the DTS package to modify and make all changes needed to
your data, be it with temp tables or variables in VBscripts.. the end result
is that the extra time you invest into a DTS package the added speed you add
to the import process, While the Access97 db that I am importing requirese
normalization, there is a lot of sensitive data that must match when moving
from Integer PK's to Guids.  Thus it is imperative that the DTS package work
appropriatly, initially I began writting everything with cursors and found
one of my processes took over 5 hrs to import, later I moved it to a DTS
package and temp tables and now it takes less than a minute to run...If you
have any questions on scripting an XLS or TXT file for that matter feel free
to post the dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisor.com list.

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com