[AccessD] Cascade-delete (was: Estimating Help)

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 8 10:08:00 CST 2003

I come a bit late to this thread (but that's not new for me).  I've tried to
follow it but it ain't always been easy.  I am using cascade delete in an
app for a client who rents audio visual equipment and am wondering if this
is good design runs afoul of anybody's catechism on the subject:

The Rental Agreement header has one to many relationship with several table
:
     Equipment to be rented (with one-to-one with a CheckIn/CheckOut table)
     Items sold at retail
     Labor
     Sub-Rental Header (with its own detail records

might be more - I forget.  So in order to delete a rental agreement (which
they want to do from time to time) either they have to go in and delete all
the detail records first, or I give them cascade delete.  They opted for
cascade delete.

I do give them a very clear warning message about what's going to be deleted
and have them confirm.

What say you all to this?

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software

P.S. I though everybody was used to Colby's rhetorical style by this time.
He's been quite - well relatively - civil on this subject. Try him on the
phrases 'unbound form' and 'natural key'.  From a distance, of course. :)