[AccessD] multi-platform ASP was: OT: Yee Haw....

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Feb 11 22:50:01 CST 2003

I'd have to agree, PHP was pretty easy to pickup.  However, I would have to
argue that it's logic is a little hard to follow.  By that, my 'first' (and
only so far! <VBG>) PHP project was a dynamic site map.  The script reads
FrontPage's Navigation structure file, then builds out a tabbed or bulleted
list of links to the pages in the navigation.  To do this, I recurse a
function.  In VB and VBScript, I had no problem doing this at all, I simply
called the function within itself, which causes the code to keep going until
every instance of the function is finished.

It took me an hour to do the same in PHP, because I was using a foreach
loop, which for some reason, was not recursing.  I couldn't figure it out.
I thought it was an issue with something being 'set' by accident (you know
how 'If a=2' sets a to 2), but I couldn't find that.  From the
documentation, what it looks like was happening, was each consecutive
foreach was 'resetting' the array, which doesn't make sense, because that
means it would run forever, not stop way too short.  I ended up turning it
into a plain for next loop, which did the trick.

I'm not disillusioned about PHP, because it certainly seemed to have it's
perks (like the string manipulation), I just think I am more in-tune with
the VB world logic.

Drew