[AccessD] A2K: Repeat Appointments

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Feb 12 00:50:00 CST 2003

Darren, I have posted a little offline about this, but I was thinking about
this a few minutes ago.  What I proposed a while back (and will incorporate
as a tool for the MiniCalendar) was a bit scheduler.  You can break each day
up into segments, and instead of storing a record for each 'time slot', you
store 1 record with a few long integers representing the chunks of time with
each bit in the integers.

Along those same lines, why not make a bit 'mask' to determine
repetitiveness.  For example, there can only be 5 repeat days in a month.
(5 sundays, 5 mondays, etc.).  You can represent each day of the week as a
bit, which is 7 bits, and to repeat that 5 times, you are looking at 35
bits.  (which is just over 4 bytes.....(a long integer)).  Then, when
viewing the schedule for a particular day, week, or month, instead of having
records of all 'repeats', just pull a query that determines if a record
meets the bitmask.

I know that may be a little hard to understand...but I'll have a demo in the
MiniCalendar....

Drew