[AccessD] OT: Selling an Access Application

info info at oop.nl
Thu Feb 20 02:27:00 CST 2003

Hy Hadyn,

I am working on the same problem now.

Protection:
On startup of the application I check on a data. For example my demo version
expires on 01-07-2003. After that the app closes. And always distributed an
MDE file. There are some issues on references to other libraries,
distributing those files with your app will solve them.

Online purchase:
I do not use that. Only orders through fax or email and I will sent an
invoice. After payment they receive a file to unlock the demoversion.

Websupport:
We use a helpdesk app in which every customer has an account to make, view
and edit their bugreports.

My main problem with distributing the software is Access with an MDE. If a
bug is found in a form you cannot put an simple (small) update on the web
and import that in you main APP. Within an MDE file you cannot import and
overwrite existing forms or modules. SO you have to distribute your whole
software package. In our case this is an ZIP file of 2.5 MB.

Gr. marcel