[AccessD] finding # of filtered records

Neal Kling nkling at co.montgomery.ny.us
Thu Feb 20 12:54:00 CST 2003

I'm guessing that Lyle wants to cancel the apply filter event if there
are no records.

Lyle,

One might consider doing this by testing the recordcount in the
ApplyFilter event:

  If Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount < 1 Then
    MsgBox "!"
  Else
    MsgBox "OK"
  End If

However, this does not work when you use the funnel button to apply the
filter.  Evidently the Recordset property is simply not available there.
I don't understand this, but I'm not going to take the time to figure it
out.

There is a workaround:

Create a button on your form and use it to apply the filter:

  DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdApplyFilterSort

Now the record count in the ApplyFilter event works, but... it shows you
the record count prior to the filter being applied.  So this can't be
used.

The final workaround:

Apply the filter and test it in the same button (don't use the
ApplyFilter event at all).  This way the filter is already applied and
the code works.

  DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdApplyFilterSort
  If Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount < 1 Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRemoveFilterSort
  Else
    'OK
  End If

By the way, rather than using DoCmd you could also just use the filter
property of the form:

  Me.FilterOn = True 'or False

Neal Kling