[AccessD] Dir Function Oddities and WinXP

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 27 12:58:00 CST 2003

I have an Access97 mdb that I use to find duplicate files
or list all the IE favourites on a disk using the Dir() function in WinXP.

It takes 3 parameters. ie. to find all the url files (IE shortcut
Links)  on a disk,
I type in  parameters "c:\" ,"*","url", it only returns a few ".url" files
It skips some lower level directories like "My Documents and Settings"

To get all the IE favorites,  I have to specify the lower level
directory exactly
in  parameters "c:\MyDocuments and Settings" ,"*","url"

I can understand, this happening with multi-user settings on WinXP
but is this change in Dir function behaviour documented anywhere
as it is different from Win9x