[AccessD] OT: SpamAssassin and SAProxy

jcolby at colbyconsulting.com jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jul 15 09:49:52 CDT 2003

Folks,

I have found a shareware (or freeware) email proxy that implements
SpamAssassin for POP clients.  http://saproxy.bloomba.com/

For those who don't know, SpamAssassin is software originally developed for
Linux (I think) and usually runs on the server.  It does a wonderfully
complete analysis of email and makes a determination of whether the email is
spam.  If so it adds [SPAM] in the header so that your email client can
apply a rule to filter these emails out into a subdirectory.  I have never
(until now) been able to find one that works on my computer.  SAProxy does
just that.

I have it installed now and functioning and it seems to be doing it's usual
fine job of figuring out what is spam,  It doesn't get all but it seems to
correctly identify > 90% of the spam messages, and incorrect designations
run in very low - <1% in my experience so far.

I'll keep a directory of all the misses (not identified as spam) and all the
hits (correctly identified) and let you guys know the stats.  I get probably
about 150 spam messages a DAY so it won't take long to get a good feel for
the numbers.

At any rate, it is well worth using to help win the war on spam!

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com