[AccessD] OT - My union grievance

Mitsules, Mark Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Mon Jul 7 12:23:51 CDT 2003

John,

The line that you asked to be defined resides in the opinion of each person.
As far as MS Office products go...to a person who has never automated a
single task, a "macro" IS programming.  To others, a macro is not
programming, but a VBA module is.  Another group would argue that anything
within the construct of another program is not REAL programming...they would
argue for a stand alone VB, C, C++, etc. application.  Still others would
say if it isn't assembler...go away.  Programming is what it is...magic to
the uninitiated.

My additional comments below are not directly related to union policies or
concerns since they do not apply to my situation.

Currently, I am on the other side of your argument.  I spend my own time and
money increasing my knowledge base so that I may help my department become
more efficient.  This efficiency benefits their data storage and retrieval,
and allows them to answer questions in a second that previously would have
taken a person from your side of the fence a month to review (believe me,
that is a overly conservative estimate in my experience) and then dismiss
because there was insufficient cost justification to develop a "custom"
application and then support it.  Efficiency in my section of my department
has risen significantly since I now handle programming in house.  We no
longer have to ask for permission to get an answer to a question that could
already have been answered.  Although I can appreciate your position, you
now have the other side of the story for comparison.

Regarding support of my "applications"... I develop them as needed and
support will continue as long as I am employed.  No expectations are
otherwise assumed.

Mark