[AccessD] Replication - how can I tell if indirect occurring

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Jul 15 13:33:18 CDT 2003

First of all, let me apologize for the slow response. The last two-three
days there has been an area-wide net-outage here. (Class action suit anyone?
I notice the bill doesn't change when it's the ISP's fault.)

Why do you want indirect synchs, particularly when the servers can see one
another? I don't see the logic here. Indirect is designed for situations
where the BE's cannot always see each other, for example a laptop in a
distant hotel used by a travelling salesperson, who connects using the net
and uses FTP for replication. If the replicas can see each other and you
don't want replication to happen automatically, don't use the synchronizer.
Instead do a manual (unmanaged) replication. /Tools/Replication/Synchronize
Now, IIRC. Further, I still don't understand your need for three
synchronizers. One can do it all, AFIAK. Of course, maybe I'm missing
something important here.

Finally, I have never experimented with replicating an FE, only a BE. But
for a long time (until we moved to SQL 2000), I replicated the BE's all over
the place without issues. At one point, there were over 70 replicas,
distributed across 4 branch offices connected through a vpn. Each office had
a server and a collection of PCs. A synchronizer handled branch-level
replication. The server at HQ handled server replication. Both processes
occurred every 5 minutes, so the longest it would take anyone anywhere to
see changes made elsewhere was 10 minutes. It never failed once in over 6
months of use.

I could be wrong about all the above. I found a scheme that worked
beautifully and stuck with it. There may be better solutions.

Arthur