[AccessD] OT: photo size on web site

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 3 12:38:24 CDT 2003

Hi John:

It all depends on the speed and quality you are expecting. If the photo is
larger than will fit on a computer screen it will load slowly because of the
size. There are a few ways to work with this issue.

1. Have the large size file download for viewing...change to a zip file.
2. Force the picture size by setting the size you want the picture to appear
within the image tag within the HTML code. This is not recommended because
the whole picture is still required to downloaded and then an extensive
amount of time is required to render the picture to forced height and width
sizes.
3. Reduce the pictures to the appropriate size. This is the best way but it
requires a bit of preparation of the image. The dpi should be reduced to 72
because this is the maximum quality of an image of the screen. The colours
should be slightly pushed and pictures very slightly off-focused.

Check out the source code on the DBA site for examples of how to use and
make blowups or access large images from small thumbnails. There are about
five different methods used and one will be best for you. Note: all the
coding was completed with Dreamweaver, though most of it was manually done
and not through the graphic interface.

If you need any specifics drop me a note off-line and I can assist.

HTH
Jim