[AccessD] Record Locking Strategy or Error Trapping

ACTEBS actebs at actebs.com.au
Wed Jun 4 09:04:20 CDT 2003

Guys,

We have developed an app for a client that was to be used for only 3-4
people. Now it's up to 14 and growing. The client does not want to
migrate to SQL so we need to come up with a viable solution using the
tools we have available Access XP on a Citrix Network.

The app is pretty simple, call centre operators at one end of the
building take orders input the information through unbound
forms...(Hmmm, lets not get into that discussion) and the
Schedulers/Dispatchers at the other end, once again Unbound Forms.

Our problem is that the BE keeps getting corrupted and I have a sneaking
suspicion it's to do with concurrent writes to tblOrderHeader, but can't
figure out how to trap this. The reason I say tblOrderHeader is because
it's the only table both Call Centre and Schedulers would write to.
Basically, the Call Centre staff create orders with the field "Sheduled"
defaulted to N and when the schedulers despatch the order this field is
updated to Y. Obviously, this can occur simultaneously.

My question is how best to handle this situation or to trap the error
when another user is writing to the table and prompt them to try again
shortly. I have read extensive info on the MSDN site regarding record
locking strategies and the database is currently set to "No Locks" which
is basically Optimistic Locking (Tools|Options|Advanced). What impact
does it have if I change this to Edited Record or All Records. Is there
a performance hit or gain and what additional headaches does it create?
Will it all solve my problem? Should I change the Update Retires to 10?
Or is there another alternative?

Sorry for the long winded post...

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated...

Regards
Vlad