[AccessD] AXP Question

Terri Jarus jarus at amerinet-gpo.com
Mon Jun 9 11:33:44 CDT 2003

I already am making the change using the FE Updater from Tony Toews, which seems easy to deal with and works very well.  I still have the issue of users who wish to create their own queries - and why shouldn't they?

First of all, I'm not in the IT department who absolutedly detests and refuses to support Access databases - which is a very inexpensive solution for things my departments need to organize their information.  Our IT Dept always aims for the $500k version of things and since we have no budget for such, we don't get.  This is my solution.  Thus, I play amateur developer and stumble around to come up with these things.  It's fun for me and a challenge, but it's not my primary focus.

Awhile back I had used a FE updater that only replaced the objects that had changed - not the entire database.  I paid a small fee for that program, but it took too long to update at the time and was more difficult to setup.  However, the user still had anything they originally created.

Maybe, I can set up something like that just for the users who need the flexibility of creating and keeping their own queries, reports, etc.

>>> jcolby at colbyconsulting.com 06/09/03 08:42AM >>>
Roz,

Why could you in A97 and not in AXP?  It seems that in a97 you would have
had massive conflicts as users tried to open the same report in design view.

On a more practical note, how many users are there?  Could you have the user
run a batch file instead of opening Access directly.  The batch file copies
the FE to their own directory.  They open that copy.  Since they are no
longer opening it shared, problem solved.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com