[AccessD] Append Query

Terri Jarus jarus at amerinet-gpo.com
Tue Jun 10 12:14:09 CDT 2003

It seems that it usually comes in the same order and the same number of fields.  I did this once before and recently someone overwrote the database.  I'm having trouble with the network guys recreating the backup - so now 2 weeks in, I decided to try to recreate the database myself.

Only problem, I can't remember how I did this.  I either found a way to rename the fields to be more generic (via code) OR somehow used an append query and selected the fields on a LIKE type of basis - if LIKE "*Sales*" then ....

I need to do this programmatically as the enduser doesn't have a clue how to deal with any of this.

But I don't recall - I'm trying to work backwards as the data was then pulled into Excel through MS Query - the spreadsheet is still intact with the code used there, but I don't know how I initially got the data setup for the spreadsheet.

Pretty sure I didn't use the position idea as that doesn't sound familiar at all.

Anyway,  thanks for the suggestions.  I'll just keep plugging away.

>>> cfoust at infostatsystems.com 06/10/03 11:41AM >>>
If you aren't sure what the field names are going to be in the table
you're importing, it's a bit difficult to automate.  Are you even sure
the fields will be in the same order and without any additions or
deletions?  I've found when handing stuff like this that it's best to
just import the data into a new table and then move it into the import
table after examining it.  That gives you a chance to make sure you know
what you're getting first and allows you to customize the necessary
append query as needed.  I wouldn't try to automate this on a bet
because I know exactly how reliable that kind of data turns out to be.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

Charlotte Foust