[AccessD] Globally logging onto a SQL Server db

John Ruff papparuff at attbi.com
Thu Jun 12 13:53:29 CDT 2003

I'm having a devil of a time and I can use some assistance.

I have a client who has two linked tables from a SQL database.  He
updates tables in a linked Access database from these two SQL tables
each weekday through update queries.  When he opens one of the tables or
a query for the first time, he must always provide his userid and
password.  We want to automate the program and so we need to setup a
method of automatically logging into the SQL database so that the
queries will run without having to manually supply the userid and
password.  He is in Iowa and I'm in Washington so I don't have access to
his SQL db to try and figure this out.

Here's the script he get's after he creates a udl file and converts it
to a txt file:
[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=dealer;Persist Security Info=True;User
ID=sales;Data Source=Dealer Information

I got the DSN from the Description property of one of the attached
tables.  Here is the full Description.

ODBC;DSN=Dealer Information;Description=dealer ;APP=MicrosoftR
Access;WSID=QUAYDW;DATABASE=dealer_master;Network=DBMSSOCN;Address=sqlsr
vb,1433;TABLE=dbo.DEAL

John V. Ruff - The Eternal Optimist :-)

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
                and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3