[AccessD] Access dies when writing large number of records

Neal Kling nkling at co.montgomery.ny.us
Fri Mar 14 08:32:01 CST 2003

Using Access2K on Win2K I'm importing about 30K records from a text
file.  The file is read line by line, parsed, and records created or
updated in the database as needed via VBA/DAO code.  The whole thing is
wrapped in a transaction.

When the transaction is enabled Access dies at about 2500 records with a
Windows generated message saying "MSAccess.exe has generated an
error..."  My error handler never gets invoked.  If I comment out the
transaction it runs fine.  I'm confident that the code is OK.

This has worked fine for more than a year.  I recently updated to O2K
SP3.  I found a KB article that addresses a similar problem that
suggests one should update Jet to 4.0 SP6 which I have done with no
effect.  O2K SP3 cannot be uninstalled.

Running this without the transaction is do-able, but not desirable.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?

Neal Kling