[AccessD] Access & Windows 2000 Performance issues with linked tables

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 3 12:11:00 CST 2003

One other thing that can cause slowness in Win2000 client to Win2000
server.

  You should try turning off opportunistic locking (OPLOCKS), which allows
client side caching of files.  Here is two of the links to the info:

Configuring Opportunistic Locking in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q296264

Things that slow Jet 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303528#11

  MSFT has released a couple of patches for NT/2000 that fix the bugs, but
I'd try turning it off before applying them, as it's much simpler. Or apply
the latest Win2000 service pack SP-3

 This doesn't affect Win9x client to Win2000 server. I believe you can set
registry settings on either the client (to enable/disable it from 'asking'
for opportunistic locking), or on the server (to enable/disable whether it
allows it to be asked).