[AccessD] Access XP and 97 hang on reattaching linked tables under WinXP

John Ruff papparuff at attbi.com
Mon Mar 3 18:08:00 CST 2003

Charlotte,

I had a similar problem when trying to send email with Access2K/XP under
either Win2K or WinXP (with or without Redemption; it didn't matter if
Outlook was open or not; but I didn't have the current db opened in a 2nd
DAO worspace).  I found that if there was an error in my send Email
procedure that the instance of Outlook that was initiated through the send
Email procedure was not closing.  Consequently, two instances of Outlook was
running.  The next time I tried to send an email through the Email
procedure, Access would sometimes hang, but Outlook would always hang.
Using the Task Manager to stop all instances of Outlook and/or Access did
not always make things right so I ended up doing a reboot to get everything
to work properly.

I found through trial and error that the Outlook resources initiated in the
Email procedure were not being released.  When I changed the procedure to
insure that these resource were released, even if an error occured, my
problem was resolved.  Evidently, in my case anyway, Win2K and WinXP do not
like two instances of Outlook running.

If you are using the code I sent you, but you modified it so that the
releasing of resources in not after the SendEmail_Exit Label, or that you've
removed the error trapping portion, or you've modified the error trapping
whereby you are bypassing the releasing of resources, that might be your
culprit.

John V. Ruff - The Eternal Optimist :-)
Always Looking For Contract Opportunities

 <http://www.noclassroom.com/> www.noclassroom.com
Live software training
Right over the Internet

Home: 253.588.2139
Cell: 253.307/2947
9306 Farwest Dr SW
Lakewood, WA 98498

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
        and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3