[AccessD] normalization question

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Mon Mar 10 15:03:00 CST 2003

Martin,

I couldn't have said it better.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency
1701 N. Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78701-1494
512-463-9493
CWortz at tea.state.tx.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Mwp.Reid at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK
[mailto:Mwp.Reid at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK]
Sent: Monday 2003 Mar 10 14:45
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] normalization question

As Charles says

As you work over the data you begin to vreate tables etc. As you draw up
the
diagrams you begin to work out relationships. If I know a relationship I
put
the FKs in. As you repeat the prcess breaking down the data and creating

relationships you add the FKs.

If your using case tools you must add the FKs in oreder to get the
software to
create the relationships/

If you are using normilisation the FKs are created as you carry out each
NF.

But again its a discovery process and I would place the FKs in each
entity as
required as I go rather than have to go back to perhpas 200 tables and
do it
then.

Martin