[AccessD] OT but Access related...I've just got to share this

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 14 03:29:01 CST 2003

This is usually done by management to avoid overloading the Tech with
more work than he can handle. Rather than have the tech arguing that he
can do it, they present him with a "fait acompli".
Some techs wear too many hats, and management gets worried what happens
if he disappears.
Lousy management style never the less but  I have seen it before.
.
 I have got my own back on consultants when something like this
happened. One day all these
high powered DBA types appeared from  nowhere with design plans to
install all sorts of  databases
for personnel and inventory etc. They all wanted kudos for developing
the latest hot IDS Codasyl database which was on the machine. No one
consulted me even though I was the sole system progammer and also
resident GIS expert. I looked at this and said I would have to purchase
more memory and disk space for the Honeywell mainframe otherwise the GIS
databases could not coexist. Heard nothing more for a few months, and
was told to start installing the test databases.
Where are my extra disks I said. Oh we are going to outsource the GIS to
an IBM site.
Before I could get my explanations out , I was turfed from the meeting
for being too protectionist
of  my GIS system. These guys were all 2 or 3  levels above my pay grade
and had  senior department  directors on their side. Boy were they
pissed off when I got ahold of the assistant deputy minister and pointed
out to him that the mainframe 5 year lease was being paid for by
another government department for the express purpose of GIS research
and where was he going
to come up with the million dollars a year to make up the shortfall when
these jokers turfed the GIS systems and the grant was cancelled.
 None of the senior IT guys above me had been there more than a year and
didn't know  how the mainframe was being paid for.  Just pointing this
out made me a lot of enemies.