[AccessD] ADP vs. MDB for SQL 2000

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 14 11:51:19 CST 2003

http://www.informit.com/isapi/product_id~%7B5B9C9F4C-B894-4969-BAF5-65609CEC
4982%7D/element_id~%7BE30B99EB-5B40-4D9D-8309-C1CC025D8D28%7D/st~%7BC301AE08
-6EF7-4244-BA76-9EF357EB4ACF%7D/content/articlex.asp

...the fundamentals are that an mdb requires JET be loaded and that JET
becomes the interface with SQL Server ...and you are thus stuck with JET's
inherent weaknesses while gaining almost none of SQL Server's strengths
...an adp does not load JET and interfaces with SQL Server directly
...unless there is a critical requirement for local tables, I can't think of
a reason to use an mdb in a SQL Server environment ...other than the
developer doesn't understand adps and doesn't want to ...which certainly
isn't a client reason for doing so.

...and even in the case of a critical requirement for local tables,
Charlotte (I think) just pointed out an XML solution for that using adps.
HTH :)

William Hindman
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask
what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not
what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of
man." John F. Kennedy, 1961