[AccessD] Alpha Five A prototyping tool to rival Access

Tom Adams tomadatn at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 17 14:04:59 CST 2003

Note to people making money programming with Access.

1st rule of programming lauguages - the best language will fail in the marketplace.

2nd rule of programming for money - It ain't dogfood if the dogs won't eat it.

Make sure you've got a market that will pay for  __________ (fill in the blank).

I've got 2 friends that got mad at M$ and decided to go open source.  They standardized
on Berkley Free BSD, PostGreSql and PHP.  They've starved for about a year developing
a really good framework and have been trying to make money with it since December.

They just sold a really big job to a current customer who knows how good they are
and trusts them to deliver.  The real test will come in about 6 months when they've
finished their first job and are trying to sell people who don't know how good they are.

I wish them well but still have doubts about the local market for this combination of products.
They're doing a lot of the right things to help develop a market here.  They've gotten active
in a local Open Source group, are publicizing the Open Source message, are doing demos
at local trade shows, are installing opensource for free about one Saturday a month, etc.

Tom