[AccessD] A2K: This should be easy

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Mar 18 03:32:01 CST 2003

Hi Arthur

> Anyone in this list besides me old enough to remember CP/M? Those were the
> days! Once I did a big app on a computer system called Molecular, that had a
> multi-user version of CP/M and 10MB hard disks! Bitchin system.

Yes! The first computer I worked with was the AVL Eagle introduced at
the Photokina world fair in 1978. Its main purpose was controlling
multi-image (slide) shows and as the first machine for this equipped
with a monitor it was a true sensation.

Here's a picture (not me!) I found (top right):

http://www.avextravaganzas.com/Rental_Price_List/Computers/computers.html

It's the computer at the far left with the 8" monitor on top hardly
visible.
The text claims 256K of ram but actually it came with 64K and room for
64K expansion boards of a size like the front of the computer.
Proprietary preformatted "data diskettes" were sold at a horrible
price until our British partner found out how to format empty
diskettes on a standard CP/M computer.
Several other programs were available for the machine like Wordstar (if
I recall correctly).

I never did any general purpose programming on this machine though -
my job was completely different in those days ...

/gustav