[AccessD] Can't Delete on Network Drive

John Frederick j.frederick at att.net
Tue Mar 18 13:38:00 CST 2003

Sounds like OS security.  When I gen a system for my home network, I go
around and disable all the security gotchas that I know of.  If you're on
your work network, you want to be more careful.  In your case, the os on the
machine with the Access data mdb has to either allow anyone coming in from
the network to make changes or it has to have a login/password for the
client and you have to either supply it when accessing the data mdb or build
it into your links and OpenRecordset commands.  If you don't care about
security, I suggest the following:
1.  On the data machine, enable the guest account.  How you do that is os
dependent.  On W2k, go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer
Management/Local Users and Groups. Select User: "Guest", click "Account is
Disabled" off, and for good measure, add the Guest and Everyone to the
Administrators Group.
2.  On the folder containing the data mdb, right click, choose security, and
give everyone listed full permissions for the folder.
3.  Either wait a day to give someone who knows more about security to
advise you not to do this, OR, take careful notes so you can undo it.