[AccessD] Access to Excel - #Num!

Mcgillivray, Donald [LTD] donald.a.Mcgillivray at mail.sprint.com
Wed Mar 19 15:37:01 CST 2003

John,

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this, but here's a bit more detail
about my similar experience:

I've encountered this with an Excel sheet used as a linked table, where the
Excel sheet was being populated by another person each month.  Turns out
they were cutting the data from a query of some sort (not really sure how
the query was generated, but the data came from a PeopleSoft accounting
database) and pasting it into the spreadsheet.  No matter how I looked at
the resulting data, it looked like a numeric in Excel, but when viewed via
Access I'd get the #Num! thing.  I tried reformatting the Excel column as a
number, but no glory.  The only solution I found was to convert the
offending cell values to numbers in a separate column of the sheet (using
the Value function in Excel).  Then, copy the resulting values and paste
them AS VALUES (Edit/Paste Special/Values) over the offending cells.  Lotta
crap to go thru each month - so I got them to do it on the other end ;-).

Hope this helps

Don McGillivray