[AccessD] Serial Communications - Cross Posted VB and Access

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Mar 28 16:33:20 CST 2003

Mark,

Whenever I need to do serial stuff I use the mscomm.dll that comes with VB.
It "listens" to one comm port, but it also raises events for all the things
that need attention.  I then wrap that in my own WithEvents class to do
anything specific I need to do.  Other than this Dll I don't know of any
brilliant software.  I used to use something called CrystalComm that was a
library written in C I believe and provided all of the various functions
need to initialize and manipulate the com ports as well as transfer files
using the old transfer protocols from the late 80s & early 90s.  Not sure if
it is even available anymore.
John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

  From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Mark L. Breen
  Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 2:30 PM
  To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com; dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
  Subject: [AccessD] Serial Communications - Cross Posted VB and Access

  Hello All,

  I have to receive serial communications from a scanner and compare it to
the data that was just printed.  I have downloaded a few different bits of
software from www.planet-source-code.com that all work to a lesser or
greater extent.

  Basically, at this stage I can receive data from the serial port.
However, the client is happy to purchase an OCX or some other such tools to
enhance the reliability of this project.  There are a few utilities out
there for between Euro 100 and Euro 500.

  The purpose of this email is to ask you guys have you used any such tools
or utilities and if so, would you care to pass on the details?

  To state my question again, I can listen to the serial port now, but I
just wondered was there some brialliant piece of software that I simply
should not ignore.

  As usual,

  thanks in advance for your time and attention,

  Mark Breen
  Solution Providers
  Ireland

----

Is email taking over your day? Manage your time with eMailBoss. Try it free!
http://www.eMailBoss.com