[AccessD] Table design

Pain, T. (Tim) Tim.Pain at sc.akzonobel.com
Fri May 30 09:08:17 CDT 2003

I currently have the following <snipped> table designs -

Products:
Product		Christmas	Easter	AllYear	Major
Corporate
Product 1		True		False		True
False		True
Product 2		False		False		True
True		False
Product 3 		etc'

OrderType:
OrderType		Christmas	Easter	AllYear	Major
Corporate
Christmas		True		False		False
True		False
Easter		False		True		False		True
False
AllYear		False		False		True		True
False
Corporate		True		True		True
True		True
Major			False		False		False
True		False

In Order Entry, the user selects an "OrderType" in the header and I then
need to check for each line item, if this product is allowed for this
"OrderType".

Now this works, but does require quite a bit of code to test each
variation, but more important, it also makes maintenance a pain. If I
now need to add a new OrderType, I have to add a record to the OrderType
table (no problem with this), but also add a column to the Products
table and then re-work the code to check the order line items.

There has to be a more elegant and easier to maintain way of doing this,
but I can't see it.
Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Tim