[AccessD] SQL statement problem

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu May 8 16:51:38 CDT 2003

I think you made a typo there; the opening double quote has no corresponding
close. It was probably intended to be a single. So the real problem is the
nested single quotes around form_name, I think. But in playing around, I
discovered an interesting problem:

? Replace("The form name 'This Form' is misspelled or refers to a form that
doesn't exist.", Chr(39), Chr(34))
The form name "This Form" is misspelled or refers to a form that doesn"t
exist.

Note the double quote in doesn't.

I was playing around with variations on the above Replace() when suddenly it
occurred to me that there's a much slicker way:

? Replace("The form name 'This Form' is misspelled or refers to a form that
doesn't exist.", "doesn't", "does not")
The form name 'This Form' is misspelled or refers to a form that does not
exist.

Admittedly it's limited to this particular error message and would fail on
strings such as "The form name 'This Form' was created by Michael O'Hara and
Patty O'Furniture."

Too bad Access doesn't do regex.

Arthur