[AccessD] OT: Network over the phone lines

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Mon May 19 07:29:10 CDT 2003

I highly recommend against this.  Most telephone
wiring in homes is CAT3 *AT BEST*.  In alot of cases,
not even that good.

Most home telephone wiring is so splices and
mickey-moused together that you will be lucky if you
get any connection at all.  And if you do, it will
probably be spotty, at best, due to electromagenetic
interferance from other devices.

Network engineering is what I do for a living.  I'd go
wireless LONG before I'd trust home telco wiring for
my LAN.  Myself, I strung CAT5 in my house.  But
that's because I know how to.  For most home users
wireless would be a perfect fit.  If you're worried
about people leeching your bandwidth or "sniffing" off
of your wireless LAN, there are ways to lock it down,
simply.  Will it stop the determined leech?  Nope.
But it would stop 90% of the leeches that are out
there, because most are just looking for free
bandwidth.  Not to mention, I'd think you'd notice
someone sitting in front of your house with a
laptop....hehehee

--- Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software