[AccessD] OT: Network over the phone lines

Bruce Bruen bbruen at bigpond.com
Tue May 20 06:52:21 CDT 2003

Try a $50 remote control 4WD model (ATV? For youse yanquies?) - we wired
200+ points in an office building several years ago using a couple of
these - without removing the false ceiling.  They have a great advantage
over nerf balls as you can make them go around things!. Also used one to
cast 240V twin core for ceiling downlights BETWEEN the ceiling and the
upper floor in our "new" 1928 built house last year. One sparky said "it
couldn't be done" without removing the original cast plaster ceilings,
another said $4500+ (for running the cable).   I said "bullSh*t", and
did it myself, got a GOOD sparky to connect the cabling to the house
circuit and certify the work for $60 + 2 coffees and a couple of beers.

The way to get cable down a cored wall is to use that plastic strapping
they use on whitegoods - as long as you can get a length of it - but
better still is the plastic jointer strip out of quickclip flooring -
you can shape the end to a blunt point and feed it UP a 1/2" or less
core, attach the cable in the ceiling space and whip it down the core in
approx 1/8 the time it takes the cat to get inside on a rainy day.

If you DYI cat5, there is only one real tip - try not to kink the cable,
otherwise I reckon its as good as $20/metre (or yard speaker cable for
anything.  Oh, and another, if you cr*p up a connection on cat5 whether
its Krone or grub screwed or whatever - cut the whole 4" off and start
again, its not worth the hassle of bad connectors.

Have fun! Crawling in 18" high dusty, cramped, dark, lumpy (with sharp
bits) spaces is what some idiots do for a sport!

Bruce