[AccessD] Change datatype through VBA

Bobby Heid bheid at appdevgrp.com
Wed May 21 07:35:57 CDT 2003

One way that I have done this in the past is:

1) Build a table locally by adding fields up to the one that you want
changed, then add the field to the new table as you want it to be, then add
the rest of the fields.
2) Import all of the data into the new table.
3) Delete the original table.
4) Export the existing table to the origal database.

OR

If position in the table does not matter, simply rename the existing field,
append the new field to the end, and then copy the data from the old field
to the new field.  I'm not sure if you can delete the old field.

HTH,
Bobby