[AccessD] OT: DSL/IIS/Viruses

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri May 23 14:29:28 CDT 2003

Depends.  If your IP address will be changing, the
outside one, or you will be wanting to access it from
different locations, not likely.  Most consumer
firewalls don't have that sort of authentication
mechanism built into them.  It's sort of an
all-or-nothing solution.

Usually you will be stuck with a rule similar to :
>From WAN to LOCAL_IP forward Port_80 allow.  Something
similar to that.  Obviously that's "pseudo code".
Your  firewall's syntax will vary.  If you will be
connecting from a non-random location with a static IP
address you can say : From WAN_IP to Local_IP forward
Port_80 allow.  Where WAN_IP would be the public IP
address of the remote location you will be connecting
from.

Alot of routers have an authentication piece in them,
but it'd for outgoing only.  That sorta thing is real
good for locking it down so your kids can't surf the
net or whatever without supervision.

=== message truncated ===>