[AccessD] ID in MSysObjects

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 1 20:50:19 CST 2003

Does anyone have experience using the ID field in MSysObjects?

I assumed (bad, I know) that it was a PK and not reused.  I built a table of
form attributes, and pulled the ID from MSysObjects table by joining my
table name with the table name in MSysObjects, storing this ID in my table
so I would have a reference back to the object in Access' MSysObjects.
After a couple of weeks playing around (and ASSUMING my numbers were still
good) I started trying to use this ID.  I joined the ID in msysObjects with
the same FK in my table, and compared the name in my table with the name in
MSysObjects.  In many cases they matched, in others they aren't even the
same TYPE of object anymore.  The ID now belongs to a module instead of a
form.

WTFO?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com