[AccessD] Primary Key Violation

Gina Hoopes hoopesg at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:41:34 CST 2003

I've got a seemingly stupid question, but I can't figure it out.  I've got a
form that collects a staff member's first and last name and uses that
combination as a primary key (unfortunately, no one can remember their
employee ID and we don't collect SSN or anything unique they could enter).
If they violate the exclusivity of that first/last name combination, they
get the convoluted error message that Access puts out which only serves to
confuse.  Is there a way for me to replace that message with my own and, if
so, how do I check for the violation and where would I put the error
message?  At the moment it comes up when they click the "done" button, which
seems like a good place.

Thanks,
Gina

p.s. Please don't chastise me for perceived primary key protocol violations.