[AccessD] A2K / AXP: Indirect Replication

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 07:02:45 CST 2003

Dear Group,

Has anyone here actually implemented Indirect Replication where the "drop box" for each computer is an FTP site? I'm a bit stymied by the configuration options in the Office XP Developer's Replication Manager. (My w/s is Windows 2000 Pro) That is:

1) I click on the "Support indirect synchronization" check box and click Next twice.
2) I click on the "Network..." button since I'm testing the situation where the computer is disconnected from a network.
3) In the "Browse Network Folders" dialog box I only "see" the drives and servers on my LAN, so I click on the Network button to "connect to a shared network folder."
4) I then see the "Map Network Drive" wizard dialog. I pick a drive letter, say, K:. Then I click on "Browse..." button to specify the folder to connect to.
5) I then see the "Browse for Folder" dialog, which shows me my Network Places. I see the folder I created that points to my FTP site. But when I click on the folder the OK button in the dialog box remains unavailable because the FTP folder, apparently, isn't a shared network folder. If I click on a folder on my file server then the OK button is available.
6) So back to the wizard in step 4). There's a link to "Create a shortcut to a Web folder or FTP site." I click on that.
7) I'm now at the "Add Network Place Wizard." I type in the ftp:// path to the FTP site and click Next.
8) I'm asked whether I want to log in anonymously. I un-check the box and then enter the User name that I set up for the FTP site. The prompt under the User name says that I'll be prompted for a password when I connect to the FTP server. I click Next.
9) I then enter a name for the Network Place and click Finish.
10) Then I see the password prompt for the User name I entered.
11) Then a window appears with the ftp:// address in the title bar and the list of files on the FTP site. Looks good so far.
12) But now I'm back to step 3). I click on the Network button again.
13) Now I'm back at step 4). I click on "Browse..." and once again see all My Network Places. Sure enough, there's the new FTP folder I created. But when I select it, the OK button remains unavailable because, I guess, it isn't shared.

Sorry for the long explanation. It helps me to do it step-by-step like that. What am I missing? I can't even begin a test of Indirect Replication unless the Replication Manager can see the FTP folder, can I?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

Disclaimer: No tree was killed in the transmission of this message. However, several coulombs of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.