[AccessD] ACC97 - Repair and Compact

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Nov 2 08:19:14 CST 2003

Hi John

> I was under the impression that Access stored query results etc internal to
> the FE.

Yes, within certain limits which I'm not aware of. Beyond that - say
for running a large query - temp data are always stored in temp files.

> What happens if you write protect the FE?  You say temporary data
> will be written to temporary files?  What does this mean?

Exactly that. Access seems to be clever enough to realize when the FE
is run write protected - which happens, say, when you open it directly
from a cd-rom. Then temp data goes to the temp folder where they truly
belong.
Also, saving reports with weird printer settings are avoided this way.

Of course, write protecting the file cannot be used if you write to
internal tables. But - as you know - it is very simple to create a
temporary database if you need to write some data which should not go
into the BE file.
On the other hand write protection, by definition, effectively stops
any bloating or corruption of the FE.

/gustav