[AccessD] Powerpoint question

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Mon Nov 3 13:34:16 CST 2003

Actually, this ties DIRECTLY into Access.  My full time employer is still
running Office 97 across the board.  There are a few dual 97/2k setups, and
several Outlook upgrades.  Recently we've been getting 'user requests' to
upgrade to a more current version of Office.  And here's what I've put
together as pro's vs. con's.  It's pretty simple.

The biggest difference between the versions of Office can be split into two
categories (which is why this is Access related).

Access

and

Everything else

I develop everything I can with Access 97, because it's rock solid, though
A2k allows VBA 6, which includes custom events. The upgrade in VBA is quite
frankly the only plus I see between A97 and A2k (haven't really used AXP
much to give an opinion on that).

Everything else keeps improving version to version.  I have and have used
Front Page 98, 2000, and 2002.  Each one was a VAST improvement on the next.
Word and Excel have improved, but not much for what I use them for.  The big
changes there is more options and better interoperability.  (I believe Word
2002 allows multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously).
Same with Power Point.  More options.  You can make presentation prettier
with more effects and themes.  The one big improvement in 'everything else',
that I have latched onto, is that each version is better at creating web
documents.  Take PP 97.  Make a presentation, and then save it as a web
page.  First, the wizard is a 100 step nightmare, and what you get at the
end is a monstrousity.  Use PP 2000, and it works it's magic effortlessly,
and you end up with a pretty good HTML representation of your presentation.
Same with Excel and Word.  And you can work with the HTML versions just like
you would with their native file format partners.

Drew