[AccessD] Passive shutdown.... Driving me mad

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 6 19:44:44 CST 2003

Some things to check

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274211
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=198756

On some versions of Access when you use "File | Open..." instead of
using the  shortcut, you will see a
checkbox on the file open dialog with "Exclusive" next to  it. Make sure
you don't open the db with this  checked.

Error 3734  This error occurs when the new passive
shutdown / connection control is being used.   This indicates that a user
set the database in a mode that prevents other database users from opening
it."

         When all users close the database, is there a locking file left
behind? It will be in the same folder as your database with the same name
and the extension .ldb. Delete it this file, it should be deleted when the
last user closes the database. You may need to reboot if windows will not
let you delete the file.

           If this does not resolve the problem, you may wish to create a
new database and import all objects from the old database in case the
database file is corrupted.

Related article:
Q274211 - PRB: Error Msg. 3734 Occurs When You Repeatedly Open & Close MDB

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q274/2/11.asp