[AccessD] A2K - setting a form invisible on open

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 8 11:44:39 CST 2003

To expound a little, in my lightweight security I am trying to create
functionality such that if a user can open a form but not view that form,
then the form will open but immediately hide itself.

To test this scenario, in the forms Activate event I check whether the user
has permission to view the form.  If not I immediately set the form.visible
false.  When opening the form, Activate fires, but setting the form's
visible attribute false does not make the form invisible.

If I manually hide the form, then use Window / unhide to unhide the form,
Activate fires, the code sets visible false and the form immediately rehides
itself (as I would expect to happen).

If I manually use Window / Unhide a SECOND time, Activate NEVER FIRES so my
code does not get a chance to hide the form again.

You can test this for yourself by simply taking any form, creating an
Activate event stub, and placing me.visible = false in it.  The first time
you do Windows / Unhide the event fires, the second time it doesn't!

Furthermore, as you open the form the FIRST time, Activate fires, but
setting me.visible = false does not hide the form!

I do so love Access and all of it's "quirks/features/BUGS".

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com