[AccessD] POLL: Access Security

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Nov 12 20:56:42 CST 2003

On 12 Nov 2003 at 19:59, John W. Colby wrote:

> I'd like to take a poll regarding your knowledge of Access' built-in
> security. By security I do NOT mean the database properties, rather using
> workgroups / users to secure forms, tables, queries etc.
>
> Anyone interested in participating please choose one of the following:
>
> 1) I am an Access security guru.  I can quickly and easily lock a database
> down so tight I can't even get back in.  No help / books needed.
> 2) I am fluent with Access security.  I can get the job done but it
> definitely takes a few hours.  I probably won't need the help / books.
> 3) I have done Access Security on at least one real paying project.  I would
> need help / books to do it again.
> 4) I have heard about Access Security, read about it, managed to shoot a toe
> off, maybe played around with it, but I am confident I could get the job
> done.  Books / help definitly needed.
> 5) Access has built in security?  What is this and where would I go to learn
> it?  Why haven't I ever seen these books / help?
>
> If you would please just select a number and reply I would appreciate it.

2.5
I've actually spent more time cracking protected systems and
rebuilding them without the built in Access security than I have
implementing it.

I generally roll my own control systems.  MDEs and judicious use of
the Username() API call to control form access and to enable/disable
controls on open keeps all but the really determined under control.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg