[AccessD] POLL: Access Security

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 13 10:12:15 CST 2003

> My point is, that sometimes super tight security is a waste of time. A
good
> talk by the office manager on how he/she will whack the first person who
> screws with things, without authorization, is the best security of all.

=======Which is fine if they're all behaving themselves. What about the
disgruntled employee or the occasional hacker? Access security is good for
providing only the data necessary to authorized users, but I don't think
it's meant to keep out the malicious folks. Hope I'm not speaking out of
turn, only margininally following the thread.

I don't fall into any of JC's categories because I know how to implement
security, but I don't. Unfortunately, that means if I needed to I would do
so with a great deal of discretion and a stack of documentation, just in
case. There are lots of topics that benefit from actual hands on experience
and this is one of them. I can glean all the "bad news" and "watch for's"
from the experts and write a terrific article, and I'd benefit myself during
the implementation process -- but there's still something about "doing"
that's missing from "knowing how." That's why you'll find all my articles on
this topic are pretty much basic tutorial -- I wouldn't want to suggest an
expertise (that can only come from hands on experience) that I just don't
have.

If Martin hasn't responded, he's probably a .5. :)

Susan H.