[AccessD] Internationalization, Unicode and Character Sets

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Oct 11 04:06:59 CDT 2003

Hi all

Joel Spolsky has some comments on PHP, internationalization, Unicode
and character sets.

/gustav

---

From: Joel On Software <fogcreek at whatcounts.com>
Date: Saturday, October 11, 2003, 1:47:53 AM
Subject: [JoelOnSoftware] Unicode and Character Sets

When I discovered that the popular web development tool PHP
has almost complete ignorance of character encoding issues,
blithely using 8 bits for characters, making it darn near
impossible to develop good international web applications,
I thought, enough is enough.

So I have an announcement to make: if you are a programmer
working in 2003 and you don't know the basics of characters,
character sets, encodings, and Unicode, and I catch you, I'm
going to punish you by making you peel onions for 6 months in
a submarine. I swear I will.

 The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer
 Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and
 Character Sets (No Excuses!)

Joel Spolsky
spolsky at fogcreek.com