[AccessD] Retrieval of picture from an html page (solved)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Oct 12 03:11:46 CDT 2003

Well, looks like I never posted the solution I found.

1. Add a reference to MSInet.ocx.
2. Create a form.
3. Add the ActiveX control MSInet.ocx to this form.
4. Add a button or something else to run this function:

<code>

Public Function RetrieveURLfile( _
  ByVal strURLFile As String, _
  ByVal strFilename As String) _
  As Boolean

' Example:
'
'   strURLFile: "http://www.somedomain.com/files/myfile.zip"
'   strFilename: "c:\myfiles\myfile.zip"

  Const clngTimeout As Long = 30

  Dim ctlInet       As Control
  Dim abytFile()    As Byte
  Dim intFreeFile   As Integer

  If Len(strURLFile) = 0 Or Len(strFilename) = 0 Then
    ' Nothing to do.
  Else
    ' Retrieve file.
    Set ctlInet = Me!axctlInet
    intFreeFile = FreeFile

    With ctlInet
      .RequestTimeout = clngTimeout
      .Protocol = icHTTP
      .URL = strURLFile
      abytFile() = .OpenURL(, icByteArray)
    End With

    Open strFilename For Binary Access Write As #intFreeFile
    Put #intFreeFile, , abytFile()
    Close #intFreeFile

    Set ctlInet = Nothing

    RetrieveURLfile = True

  End If

End Function

</code>

How should I retrieve one specific jpg file from an html page?

The file name is always the same but the picture (file) is updated
frequently. The task is to download the file automatically and (that's
the easy part) save it using a different name built from the date
information.

I imagine using a form with a timer event to initiate a download and
add an entry in a log table.
But how do I "connect" to the page?