[AccessD] Access Packaging (VB packaging)

Griffiths, Richard R.Griffiths at bury.gov.uk
Thu Oct 16 03:49:47 CDT 2003

Hi Group

A colleague has raised a point and I wonder whether anyone in this list has
any experience or knowledge of this.

My colleague has suggested that there is (maybe) a problem when packaging
Access systems (and VB)  (say using Package Wizard, althought the logic
could be applied to any packaging software) in that if the package is
created under XP then the various dll's and so on packaged are those
designed for XP - and that these may vary, in some cases, to those packaged
when creating a package under NT or Win 98. So that....

Package Under XP....Deploy XP >> OK
Package Under XP....Deploy Win 98/95...possible problems.

I must admit I did have a problem with one user (win 95) when the
application did not work properly (lots of strange things - compile errors
etc) on their machine - yet it worked ok on others -  I think the package
was created under XP - so this may support the above argument.  As a
precaution I now package my apps under win 98 (but this is a pain on my dual
boot machine having to boot/reboot/test/repackage to correct then
/boot/reboot/test and so on)

Has anyone come across this.

Many thanks in advance

Richard