[AccessD] SQL LOG File is Huge! 10GB - Help

Bob Bedell bobbedell15 at msn.com
Wed Oct 8 14:02:35 CDT 2003

Pardon me for jumping in, but a similar issue has been bugging me too. I'm
not quite sure how this is supposed to work. When you perform a backup in
SQL Server, all of the committed transactions are supposed to be cleard from
the transaction log, right? So after performing a backup, I can run a
function to view the active portion of the log, and there are only a few
entries in it. But the physical size of the log hasn't gotten any smaller on
disk. I have the log set to auto-grow. Is it the case that the physical
allocation of the log grows as the log grows, and then when a backup is
performed and the comitted transactions are cleared, the physical allocation
of the log remains at the same siza it grew to, its just empty now. Or if I
backup a 10 MG log, is the physical size of the log supposed to shrink to
1MG or whatever. Any clarification regarding this would really help.

Thanks,

Bob