[AccessD] Number vs text data type

Ron Allen chizotz at charter.net
Mon Oct 13 10:27:19 CDT 2003

That sounds like one of my co-workers who comes from the
old school early-days C and COBOL programming. He makes
everything text unless an actual calculation must be
performed, even when that doesn't necessarily make sense
in context. I believe that if its a number it should be
treated as a number unless there is a very compelling
reason not to, for all of the reasons given so far and
probably others I haven't thought of. To me, logic tells
you that if the data is numeric you should use a number
data type, using text just muddies things up. As far as a
number field needing "additional resources", especially
for calculations, that makes no sense at all to me. Some
number types may take additional storage space as compared
to holding the same digit characters in a text type, and
that can become an issue for DBAs when they are working
under short drive space conditions. Other than, I can't
think of a resource reason.

Ron