[AccessD] Vba and Office

Stuart Sanders stuart at pacific.net.hk
Fri Oct 17 02:42:53 CDT 2003

This may have already been discussed on this list (I don't always actively
follow it anymore).   The latest Woody's Office Watch had the following to say
about Microsoft's Plans for Office.

Stuart

1. VISUAL STUDIO.NET FOR OFFICE 2003 SHIPS
Er, ahem, make that "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office
System 2003" ships.

If you're using Visual Basic for Applications, you're working with an orphan.
Microsoft says it will keep VBA in one more version of Office, but with all the
talk about Longhorn and Bullhorn (my name for the version of Office that'll ship
with Longhorn in 2005 or 2006 or 2007), I'm skeptical - I think VBA in Office
2003 is probably the last VBA we'll see. MS made essentially no enhancements to
VBA in Office 2003. They don't sell an Office 2003 Developer's Edition. Pretty
slim pickin's.

You old (and I mean that in the kindest possible way - remember, I cut my teeth
on WordBasic, which was dumped for VBA eons ago) VBA programmers should face the
facts and take the VS.NET plunge. Either that, or find a better job.

I mean *that* in the kindest possible way, too.