[AccessD] Vba and Office

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 17 09:51:36 CDT 2003

Alun,

Personally I am going with VB initially.  One of the things that MS stresses
is that choice of language makes very little difference anymore.  The
framework is used identically between the various languages, and in fact the
language "compiler" itself is a thin layer on top of the framework.  It
really ends up being "what language are you most comfortable with".  Having
said that, there are a handful of things that C# can do that VB can't -
things like pointer manipulations and stuff.  If you don't need those
things, and you are most comfortable with VB, then VB is the best choice for
you.

I worked in a custom C compiler for a controller project for about two years
back in '95-'97, however I am much more comfortable with the VB syntax, thus
I choose VB.

I will probably eventually switch to C# simply due to the long ingrained
idiocy displayed by program managers that VB is a toy language and C is for
real men (women don't EVEN apply).  However I intend to get fully up to
speed on the VS IDE as well as the framework itself before making the
switch.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com