[AccessD]

Christopher Hawkins clh at christopherhawkins.com
Tue Oct 21 19:25:48 CDT 2003

Good lord.  Different by up to 2 characters per digit?  That would
yield a range of results so large as to be useless.

That said, I would make the assumption that no more than one typo per
SSN was likely to be made.  That measn only one of the three SSN
chunks is likely to be wrong, while the otehr two are correct.

Then I would do three searches and UNION the results.

For example, given keyed input of 987-65-4321...

Search 1:  SELECT FirstName, LastName, SSN FROM tblBLah WHERE SSN
Like *-65-4321

Search 2:  SELECT FirstName, LastName, SSN FROM tblBlah WHERE SSN
Like 987-*-4321

Search 3:  SELECT FirstName, LastName, SSN FROM tblBlah WHERE SSN
Like 987-65-*

You could keep the search results in a temp table (slow) or a bunch
of recordsets (still slow, but less so).  Then take the results of
all three searches and UNION SELECT them to come up with a master
list of SSNs that are somewhat similar.

You might want to do all this searching in a dll outside the Access
environment for the sake of speed.

This is completely off the top of my head, on the fly, spur of the
moment, what have you.  Please feel free to blast holes in my idea.

-Christopher-